Traditional Cretan Ntakos is a great and quick meal that can be prepared everywhere. Full of nutrition and with no complex ingredients is an excellent choice for almost everyone.
Travelling doesnt always involves a hotel room or a restaurant! Nature is there for us and some times preparing something good to eat is a luxury out there!
If you are a food tourist maybe you already are aware of Cretan Ntakos.
The most famous traditional ntako recipe that can be an appetizer or even a light meal. An incredibly easy preparation that replaces the salad worthily. In the area of Rethymno it is known as “koukouvagia aka owl “.
Few ingredients and full of flavor. Prepare it by yourself even on the road for a healthy but filling meal! With no further ado let’s go to the recipe!
Preparation Time: 15 min.
Category: Salad / Appetizer
Cuisine: Greek (Traditional Cretan)
Could be sufficient for 2 persons
- 4 large round barley rusks
- 3 large mature tomatoes (pilled and mashed)
- 8 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 150 g feta cheese (5.5 ounces)
- 50g myzithra or ricotta cheese
- 10–15 black olives
- 1–2 tbsps capers
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Moisten the rusks ( paximadia ), with 4 tbsps of water each, and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Use a grater to grate the tomatoes, into a colander and leave for 5 minutes to drain.
- Crumble the feta cheese and myzithra (soft cheese) with a fork, or grate it with a grater.
To put the dish together, spread the grated tomato on the rusks and add the crumbled cheese. Top with the olive oil and capers. Sprinkle with the oregano and drizzle with some extra olive oil
If you try it don’t forget to post and tag a photo to our instagram page 🙂
You can find it here: Instragram @alternativ.traveler